Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 6, 2006, 1:37 AM   #1

I have read in many discussions that there is no use going for bigger megapixel unless you want to go for huge printouts. I know I won't be going for huge printouts, but still planning to buy a 8/10 megapixel camera, thinking that technology keeps on advancing, and may be in 2-3 years the dpi of printers will also double, so that I will get a printout of half the size (though much sharper) that I can get today for the same megapixels. Am I right in assuming this.
roopang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2006, 7:33 AM   #2

4-5MP cameras will fulfill needs of 99% of the population, unless you do a lot of cropping.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 9:26 AM   #3

It won't happen becuase there would be little to no observable benefit to offset the cost. The eye is going to have difficulty telling the difference for anything over 200 dpi.

It can still worth going for the exta megapixels if the cost is close. It is useful for cropping, and more recent up to date models often have other advancements besides more MP. And you never know when you might want to make a large print.

But if the 6MP model is the better camera, then get the 6MP model. And, if there's no new features or improvements you actually need, last years 5MP model may be the best bang for your buck.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote