Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 8, 2006, 7:08 PM   #1

Well I have major brain cramps deciding on a first digital SLR. Going to back off for a day or so and let some things soak in before pulling the trigger. But afaid with all the choices I willl never be able to decide!!

Nice to have a forum for topics like this. Used to do a lot of 35 mm photo suff year ago and now have the jones for a Digital SLR. Borrowed a freinds D50 and it got my juices going!

I'm not buying into the Pixel wars.. read tons of stuff recently and looking for a 6 to 8 mp camera.

Want to do some enlargements not much over8x10 but maybe a little larger if it was the right shot.. Travel and family pics mostly. (MY FIRST GRANDSON!!)

The most recent models that caught my eye were the Canon 350D and then the Olympus E-500. I can get the E-500 with two kit lenses (14-45 and 40-150) for the same price as the Canon with one kit lens (18-55). Sounds like a no brainer, but I know you never get something for nothing. What am I missing in my comparisons?

Any other suggestions in this price range or recomendation appreciated.
fingersonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:58 AM   #2

In fairly similar price range, the Pentax K100D is worth taking a look at, too, if you haven't already and have discounted it for some reason.

I was struggling with a similar decision recently (first DSLR) and based my choice ultimately on two factors: viewfinder and shake reduction (image stabilisation). My eyesight is not the best, so I wanted the "biggest and brightest" viewfinder available in my budget range, which seemed to be on the Pentax cameras, and having shake reduction is certainly a useful feature. (If you don't think you'd need it, the K110D is available without it at an even lower cost.)

I do think all of those cameras have excellent picture quality, so it's really down to personal preference and ergonomics. I only discarded the Olympus for the small viewfinder and also due to it being probably the worst of the DSLRs in low light, no flash conditions (and I take a lot of pictures at ISO 800 and sometimes higher - from the test samples, it didn't seem much if any better than my small Fuji F10, so I felt it wasn't worth it for me). If you don't plan to take many pictures in low light without flash, this is probably not a big issue. The entry-level Olympuses do look like lovely cameras, and especially the two-lens kit seems very nice.

I also considered the Canon EOS 350D and the Nikon D50, but the Pentax is a newer model (which doesn't make the others any worse, but call it a human weakness)... the new EOS 400D and Nikon D80 both sounded lovely, but for me the price difference didn't feel justified (and again, the Canon viewfinders are not very comfortable for me). However, the EOS 350D is probably not going to disappoint in image quality, if you decide to go for that.

Sorry for not being more helpful and probably only adding to the confusion! :lol: It is a tough choice, I know.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote