Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 10, 2006, 6:20 PM   #1

I've had my Olympus D-460 for about 6 years or so. I've been very very happy with my camera although it was a little slow in being able to take pictures.

Well my camera finally kicked the bucket, the flash died on it and anyone that has used the D-460 knows that the camera is useless without that darn flash or very bright outdoor light.

I'm looking to buy a new camera this tax season. I would like to keep it as cheap as possible... but depending on how much I get back this season, I might be willing to spend up to $500.00 on it.

My camera useage will mostly be filming my children and nature. I really enjoy doing nature shots.

I find flash and zoom to be VERY important and do not want something without these.

Basically I'm hoping someone on here will be familiar with the D-460 and be able to recommend something similar to it, but newer, faster and better quality.

I'm not real picky, just need flash and zoom and be able to take both indoor and outdoor shots with quality. I absolutely hate fuzziness!!!!

Thank you ahead of time for advice and recommendations!!!

LovingTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2006, 2:42 AM   #2

Alot has changed in 6 years. I'd guess that most like your old 1MP camera might be something like an Olympus FE 200. But there is alot more available today as well. Here are a few other of the best options out there right now, each a bit different from your old camera, but also with more capability in different ways.

If you want a compact point and shoot with a similar zoom range to your old camera, I recommend a Fuji F20, available for only about $180. You'll also have to spend maybe $30 on a 512MB xD card. The flash isn't that strong, but it's high ISO performance is so good that it still has outstanding range with flash. It's very good both indoors and out.

If compact isn't that important, and you want much more zoom than your current camera, (especially for some of those nature shots), look at one of the superzooms. I like the Sony H2, for around $300.

Or, with less telephoto than the H2, but still a nice zoom range of 24-140mm (nice wide angle), and with a very good flash, plus external flash support, manual focus ring, and a nice viewfinder, for about $350, try the Kodak P880. It's very nice for flash photography, with no red eye.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote