Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 11, 2006, 8:09 PM   #1

I know the Pentax have it, but, are there any others? I'm suffering from paralysis by analysis, and the more I think about this, the more I am leaning towards an entry level DSLR. Any recommendations?
JohnnyNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2006, 8:48 PM   #2

The only other dSLR bodies with image stabilization are the Sony Alpha 100 and the older Konica-Minolta models. Nikon and Canon build their image stabilization into specific lenses. From what I've read, the in-lens stabilization is a little better, but it costs a lot more. I voted with my wallet and bought the K100D.

rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:09 PM   #3

I can't seem to find any reviews on the Pentax K-10, referencing low light performance. I'm guessing it's because it's too new? I've seen several on the K-100 but none on the K-10. Does anyone know if tehre are any reasonably comprehensive reviews on the K-10 out there?

Or does anyone have any experience with the model?
JohnnyNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:18 PM   #4

The K10D isn't shipping yet. So, reviews are going to be hard to find, except for a few photos here and there that may not be representative of a production camera.

The KM DSLR models (Maxxum 5D, Maxxum 7D) also have stabilization built in (Konica Minolta pioneered in body anti-shake technology).

But, Konica Minolta exited the camera business earlier this year. So, most vendors sold out of them months ago. Sony is now honoring the warranty for them as part of an arrangement to acquire some of KM's assets.

It looks like Adorama found a stash of KM 5Ds somewhere. They recently listed some KM 5D kits (Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D, 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 AF lens) at $569:

Sony acquired some of Konica Minolta's assets and the new Sony DSLR-A100 (based heavily on the KM Maxxum 5D) also has anti-shake and will use Minolta Autofocus Lenses.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote