Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 12, 2006, 9:49 PM   #1

Hi all - I am looking for a replacement for my trusty Canon S230 Elph, which has been a great camera for me. I've really appreciated its pocketability and also its sturdy metal construction.

However - I am a video artist and believe it or not have been using stuff shot on the S230 ( as well as on my DV camera) for pieces. This has to stop because the resolution is too low, even though I'm messing with the image lots. The 640x480 movies on my camera can only be 30 seconds.

The 2 cameras I'm most focused on right now are the Canon SD700/800 and the Canon S3IS. Obviously the difference is in portability. But what I'm trying to figure out is whether the movies are much better on the S3IS. The 640x480 spec is the same but I know the quality varies from camera to camera and it's hard to find out exactly which is best. I do like the fact that you can zoom in and out during recording on the S3IS. I don't like the fact that it's so big and bulky... but it might be worth the tradeoff.

Any thoughts? Or other ideas? Or experience with the quality of these movies?

betsbillabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2006, 11:11 PM   #2

The S3IS is better in video. Go to dcresource.com and in the reviews you can see an actual demo of the video capabilities.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 11:49 PM   #3

since you're a video artist you sure need more than 640x480

G7 has 1024x768 but at jerky15 fps. and it has no zoom in movie.

Panasonic LX2 has 1280x720, 848 x 480 (16:9),640 x 480 (4:3),pixel movies,but its max 1280arerestricted to 15 fps as well. Its 848x480 mode is good for 30 fps.
caddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:03 AM   #4

Thanks for the info about the Panasonic. It sounds great! But the reviews on it are actually kind of mediocre. It sounds as if they are high resolution but also highly compressed. Do you have personal experience with the LX2?

1-chip DV cameras are 720x480, and I don't see a huge difference between my old DV camera and the S3's 640x480 clips I've seen posted. However, without A/Bing it, it's hard to tell.

Also thanks for letting me know that video capabilities are there to see. I guess I'm also looking for ideas about other cameras, and also audio issues. For instance, I just read elsewhere on this forum that there are some audio issues with the SD700 and it seems the jury's out on the SD800.

Anyone else?
betsbillabong is offline   Reply With Quote