Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 13, 2006, 8:51 PM   #1

My father said that he would buy my wife and I a new digital camera (under $250) for Christmas. I am hoping to find a compact/ultracompact 6+ megapixel. I would like something with at least a 2x optical zoom. Manual settings would be nice but aren't really necessary. Image quality (picture and movie) are both really important (10). It will mostly be used for family gatherings/activities, pictures of the kids, and some nature shots . . . all of which I will want to make big prints of occasionally. We don't currently have a camcorder so the movie function will be getting used a lot and is pretty important to us. It would be nice if I could attach it to a tripod and I'd also like Image Stabilization (thought that's not really necessary). I was thinking about either getting the Canon PowerShot SD600, the Fujifilm Finepix F30, or the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W50 (which is what my dad has). I'd love to get some feedback as to which one you all would pick and why. If you know of another camera with a similar size, style, design & price that you feel would offer better quality, functionality and/or offer more "bang for my buck", please feel free to offer your suggestions and tell me why you think so.

evenstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2006, 3:40 AM   #2

Of the three cams on your list, for your intended use (or that of your wife's), I would say the F30 seems to be the best fit. I say that, because of its superior low light capabilities, which will be a big plus for indoor pics of the family. The F30's picture quality is excellent, but you should know that the length of a video you can take with a digicam is limited by the size of the memory card you purchase.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote