Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:32 PM   #1

I'm putting away my 35mm and want to get a good digital camera. I was pretty set on getting a DSLR as I knew a point and shoot was just not what I wanted. However, a friend of mine brought to my attention the Sony H5 and now I am confused. Most of my picture taking will be of everyday family events(holidays, vacations, kids) and of course sports. I want a camera that is going to give me GREAT action shots as my boys will only continue to grow in this area. These sports will be both inside and out so I need a camera/camera lens setup that will be good in low light. I also like to "zoom" in as close as possible to my subjects at all times. Other things are also important(ability to shoot macro) but the previously mentioned are my main concerns. Any advice??? Oh, I'd like to keep it at $1000.00 or less. Less is always better but if the extra money gets me a much better camera to grow with than that's fine.
stampermom65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:46 PM   #2

Don't even bother, you'll ditch the super zoom in 6 months (like i did). Sounds like you already know a thing or two about cameras, so go with the dSLR - there are plenty of entry level dSLRs available around the $600 mark, couple that with a decent zoom and you'll be way ahead of the superzooms in terms of image quality, especially for indoors and sports photography, where superzooms fall short.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 1:17 PM   #3

With that much emphasis on sports shooting you might be best off looking at a Rebel XTi (Canon 400D) for around $740 body only. Though decent lenses for your purpose wopuld quickly push you well over $1000.

You might also look at the Nikon D50 which is around $500 body only (and may start to be closed out in places).

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote