Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 18, 2006, 1:27 PM   #1

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts?? Which of these cameras would you choose? I was leaning towards the Canon, but just noticed the Nikon in a flyer and it has 5x optical zoom and 7.2MP for nearly $100 less.

nac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2006, 9:27 PM   #2

While there are many A710is reviews, there are not yet any Coolpix L5 reviews, although the specs are similar. The zoom range of the A710IS is slightly larger on both ends and the A710is lens is also a tiny little bit faster than the L5 lens. Furthermore the A710is has an optical view finder, while the L5 is an LCD only camera. They both share the same 7MP Sony sensor. Image quality should be also very similar. The market price of both cameras is also very similar. However, usually Canon has a far better video mode and unlike the L5 the A710 has full manual controls. The only advantage of the L5 seems to be its lower weight. All in all the A710is is clearly the better value.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 9:01 PM   #3

i use an nikon L3 and couldnt be happier with it , the pic quality is great for a 5mp camera and the sofware included is top notch, specially enjoyable is is the panorama software that allows you to create quicktime .MOV or Flasy virtual interactive panoramic pictures

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"the video feature was the application that swayed my purchase, i would have prefered mpg4 instead of quicktime MOV but the mov quality at 640 by 480 is very good. you can fit about 30 to 40 minutes on a 2gb sd card.

one of the best features of the nikon digilife series is how good they are on batteries , i use 1800mah nimh batteries and can take upwards of 200 pictures or over 30 minutes of video
VitaminC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 6:07 AM   #4

Having bought a Nikon L2 last June, I would have to express a word of caution. The camera suffers from significant shutter lag, and the AF has trouble in less than bright conditions. I was also not impressed when the price tumbled just after I bought it - presumably because the sensible money was going to better competitors!
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 9:09 AM   #5

I agree with kassandro! The Canon A710is is the better choice based on Canon's great track record and the many reviews that the A710is has received. The Canon will provide much more long term satisfaction, in my personal opinion.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote