Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:47 AM   #1

I saw at photobhvideo :

1.-Nikon D80, 10.2 Megapixel, SLR Digital Camera with Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Autofocus Lens ...$1050
2.-Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi (a.k.a. 400D) 10.1 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera (Black) with Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM Autofocus Lens and Lexar 2GB Platinum II (80x) CompactFlash Card...$944
3.-Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 10.2 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera with Sony Zoom DT 18-70mm f3.5-5.6 Lens...$800
If with the same lens kit above wich one will give a better quality picture? The best choice will be ...????

Thanks alot!
AnhNamUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2006, 1:20 PM   #2

I'll confuse you even more - what about considering the Pentax K10D (10.2mp with DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens), available from B&H for $999? It sounds like the Nikon, Sony and Pentax all use the same sensor, so differences are going to be based on in-camera software, features and the differences in the lenses.

Which camera gives any one person "better quality pictures" depends. The Sony and the Pentax have IS built into the camera body - so all lenses are stabilized. Canon and Nikon put stabilization in specific lenses, supposed to bea better system but much more expensive (stabilized lenses are more expensive). Each camera offers their own extra qualities, which might or might not be important to you (weather seals might not be interesting to someone who takes mostly studio shots, while a snow-shoer would appreciate it). If your big thing is indoor sports, you'll want something different than someone who is into birding.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote