Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 22, 2006, 9:49 AM   #1

My girlfriend is asking me to help her find a new camera. It needs to be a basic point and shoot, she wont really use the manual functions so that is not really important, the best auto is what im looking for. She wants it as small as she can get it.

Here is what I have found and narrowed it down to kinda. I am always open to others opinions if they think a different camera that is comparable should be in my list. I have been searching off and on for a few days now so I havent come accross all the cameras.

So she will be using the camera mainly for just about everything. mostly family parties (indoors) but we will be going to disney world soon for about a week so outdoors is also important. and maybe some hockey games, but it doesnt have to be the best in that situation. If it is good for fast action that is just a bonus.

Here are some that i was considering.

F30 - I have read alot that it was great indoors, but is it horrible outdoors, good, very good.

800IS - I read this is a solid camera but not the best in any situation. it is also like 150 more then the other phone. how much better is it then the other elphs 630, etc. is it worth it.

Those are basically the two I have narrowed it down to if i can't find the f30 how is the f20se.

Basically I am wondering what brand should i go with the fuji or canon. then from there which model is the f30 alot better then the f20se. is the 800is better then the other models. if i can't find the f30 but i do see the f20se should i get that or instead get the 800is. sorry for the rambling and thanks for all your help.
kamachi923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:05 AM   #2

Another plus point for F30 is that you can get it online for $200 with that $50 rebate.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:48 AM   #3

That the F30 is horrible outdoors is an extreme overstatement. Canon cameras tend to consistently have the best photos directly from the camera with no need for post processing. But Fuji outdoor images are usually acceptable.

For indoor shots of people without using the flash the F30 is hard to beat. For most other situations the SD800 is excellent. The wide angle lens is versatile for general photography and stabilization is a big advantage in less than perfect lighting.

She would probably be happy with one of the smaller and cheaper Canons like the SD630. It doesn't have the wide angle or stabilization but will take consistently good photos.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:14 AM   #5

sorry i was not clear in that sentence. It was actually supposed to be a question. I was asking if it was horrible or if it was good, very good. Again sorry for not making myselft clear.
kamachi923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:32 AM   #6

Well then, to answer your question, the consensus of opinion from the pros seems to be very good outdoors, with a bit of purple fringing in high contrast areas, and a tendency to slightly overexpose bright sky. The F20 looks to be a real good camera also.

Good luck with your choice.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote