Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 26, 2006, 1:02 PM   #1

I'm looking for a camera that takes good low light and indoor photography without the flash. That also captures the moment of my 4 active children. I would also like it to have good battery life and good digitial zoom.

I'm fairly new to digital camera world. Right now I have the FujiFilm Finepix S5200. I like it ok. I'm considering taking it back though. Most of the low light pictures I take, end up being blurry so I've missed having some great shots. I'm still new to this camera so I might not know how to operate it completely yet. Any suggustions would be well received.

Does anyone recommend a camera for this job? $500 would be my max. right now for a camera.

Would the Cannon S3 IS do what I'm looking for? Thanks in advance for the help!
ibmjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2006, 1:31 PM   #2

First off, two things you need to know. Digital zoom is not important, what you really want is optical zoom. Digital zoom simply crops your photos rather than actually bring you closer to the subject.

Secondly, the more you zoom the less light actually gets into the camera, and therefore your pictures either turn out darker because it gets a worse exposure, or blurrier because the camera slowed down the shutter speed.

For a point and shoot camera, I think most people would recommend the Fuji F20 or F30. These cameras have a reputation for being very good performers in low light.

Since you have a budget of $500, I believe the best quality you can get for your money would actually be with the Pentax K110D. It's a DSLR, but you can get it with the kit lens for about $408 after a $50 mail in rebate from either buydig.com or beachcamera.com.

While a DSLR might seem a bit intimidating, this one is more compact than most and will most likey take the best pictures for the money. Also, the Pentax SLR forum on this website is one of the most active and you'd have lots of help available from the people here.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote