Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: What should I do?
Fix the 8700 0 0%
Get the Nikon Coolpix D80 2 66.67%
Get the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi/EOS400D 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 2, 2006, 7:04 AM   #1

My current camera is a Nikon Coolpix 8700. While I've been mostly happy with this camera, it's been breeding dead pixels lately, and I've not been happy with it's low-light performance.

I'm looking at the Nikon D80 and the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi (guess that's also the EOS400D)... I can't quite decide which one, because each have trade offs on my must-have list...

I'm mainly a landscape photographer, but I also like to play with macro, and photograph horses when the opportunity arrives... as well as birds and whatever other wildlife comes by, so I need a camera with a fast start up and good sports performance.

I'm leaning towards the Rebel, as it's a little lighter (I have very small hands and do not like heavy cameras), and in looking at Steve's pictures, seems to take better pictures (sharper, and better performance at higher ISOs), 'cept in some cases I thought the color was a tad muddy. Also, I've a certain amount of $ invested in CF cards, and I'm not quite ready to ditch them for SD... yet.

I've never had a Canon though, I've been pretty loyal to Nikon lately. Started with the 4300 (great little camera), got the 8700, then picked up a 5600 since even the 8700 is 'big enough' to be annoying in some circumstances.

I really wanted to get a camera that took regular AA batteries, but ah, well.

Also, I need some advice on what the best general-purpose lense would be for each camera. I'm not big on carrying/swapping lenses, so I'm guessing a decent zoom would be the ticket. Been nearly a decade since I've had to deal with removeable lenses. Gad, have digital cameras been around that long already?

(oh, and off-topic, but is 'creeping dead pixel syndrome' fixable, or worth getting fixed?)

Well, any help would be appreciated.

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2006, 8:15 AM   #2

Personally I feel that it very important to physically handle and work with the Canon 400D because IMHO it has a very small and pinched grip. It is a challenge to hang on to when taking a photo. With your smaller hands, it might be OK. However, it would be wise to check. It also lacks IS which could be measurably important in taking the photos that you do. Keep in mind that it also does not have spot metering.

The Nikon D-80 is a very comparable camera, but the ergonomics are much better, still no IS and like the Canon 400D if you want IS, you will have to pay for it in each individual lens at very high prices.

Please keep in mind that some lenses do have the ability to achieveclose focus and therefore can be used for macro shots, but the majority do not and that will require a separate macro lens such as the 60mm Nikkor Maco Lens in the case of the D-80.

I use a Tamaron 18-200mm zoom on my Nikon D-50 and a Tokina 24-200mm lens on my Canon 350D and have been very pleased with their performance from wide angle through zoom.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 8:18 AM   #3

If you like smaller cameras, you can'tgo wrong with the XTi. I have one and love it.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 4:23 PM   #4

All photography is compromise, just depends on where you want to compromise. I personally found all of the Nikon cameras too big and clunky for me, so I bought a Pentax K100D (less expensive than the Canon). It fits my hand, uses AA batteries, but does use SD cards (the new K10D is bigger, a bit heavier and uses Lithium-Ion battery).

You mentioned that you had a SLR camera before going digital. Do you still have any of your old filmSLR equipment? If your SLR had been a Pentax, you could use your old lenses with the new digital bodies. That might be something to take into consideration (the other camera manufacturershave varying amount of backward compatibility, so if you have Nikon or Canon, you'll need to check your specific lenses).

All of these cameras will take some outstanding pictures - buy whichever one feels better in your hands and have fun taking pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 6:22 PM   #5

Go to a camera store and try out the models you are interested in buying first. There are many more choices for entry DSLRs now than a year ago.

I have a Digital Rebel XT and it is fine for my needs.

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote