Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 2, 2006, 9:59 AM   #1

:?hello!! i'm from israel..

i need some help finding a digital camera

what i need is a guite easy camera with good picture quality.

the cameras i have been looking at are: canon eos 400d or olympus e500 or nikon d50.

i'm a new photogpher,

please help..

any information you can give mr on this matter very much apprecited.

thanks, dana from israel:|
dana l is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2006, 4:06 PM   #2

First thing to do is go to a camera store and handle them all - some people will prefer one over the other based on how big it is, how much it weighs and how convenient the controls are for your hands. See if you prefer one viewfinder over another - they are also different. All of these cameras will take really good pictures.

I don't have any of these cameras - I have the Pentax K100D and love it. You might want to look at the Pentax line also (the K100D has image stabilization built into the camera body so any lens you use will be stabilized). You might look at the Sony Alpha, since it has in-camera stabilization also.

The camera body is only half the story - what you use for lenses will make a difference. Decide what you want to do with photography and then which lenses will make that possible. I'd buy a less expensive camera, especially since you are just starting out, and put extra money into better lenses. You'll be able to use those lenses on future cameras, so it pays to get the best you can afford. With both Sony (uses KM lens mount) and Pentax you also get the ability to use old lenses, so you might be able to pick up good used lenses for less than they would cost new - I was out this morning comparing two similar lenses that are over 25 years old. They work great with my 6 month old Pentax K100D digital camera.

So next step is to read everyone else's responses and go to a camera store - one of them could fit your hand much better than any of the others. Remember, the best camera in the world can't take good pictures if it is sitting in your closet at home because you hate to carry/use it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 6:46 AM   #3

If you are new to photography and you want a "quite easy" camera, maybe you don't want to start with a digital SLR and might want to consider going with something like the Canon Powershot S3 IS, the Kodak P712, or the Sony HSC 5. I especially like the P712 as it can shoot in Raw and Tif formats. And the Sony has very sharp image quality.

If you DO choose to go with a one of the fine cameras you mentioned, anyone would give great results, but the learning curve will be a lot steeper. Out of the 3, the Canon 400D would be my choice as it has the widest selection of lenses to choose from. Also it compares better with the much more expensive Nikon D80 than the D50.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:39 AM   #4

FaciaBrut has made an excellent point that really ought to be a part of your decision making process. It is simply this: as a beginning photographer, there will be a measurably steeper learning curve involved with going to an Advanced DSLR camera such as the Nikon D-80, or the Canon 400D.

The learning curve in moving to a point and shoot ultrazoom digicam, such as the Sony H-5, the CanonS-3, the Kodak Z-612 and the P-712 would be somewhat easier.

As an a Digital Camera Instructor, I have to use many cameras, from point and shoot models to DSLR cameras well to provide sample photos and instruction on the camerasmy studentsare interested in at the moment. Currently, of course, I shoot with the following,ultrazooms: the Sony H-5, the Canon S-2, the Fuji S-6000, and the Kodak Z-612.The H-5, Z-612and the S-2 all have IS or Image Stabilization. That makes them easier to use, because camera movement is eliminated. Of those ultrazoom camera, the Sony H-5, in my estimation is the best.

So, perhaps,in going to an ultrazoom you could save some money and have an easier learning curve. We truly don't know much about your photographic knowledge banks, so that is a decision that only you can make. We offer it just as a possible decision for you to make. I have attached a photo sample from the Sony H-5 camera. It was taken without flash, handheld, at an ISO setting of 400 at a distance of 60 feet.

Attached Images
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote