Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 4, 2006, 11:34 PM   #1

I have been recenly researching DSLR's. I when to a local camera shop asking advise and they suggested the Nikon D50, which great reviews and I am sure a great camera. However it dose not have some of the current new features that others have and it is only 6mp.The Sony A100 and Pentax K10D have 10.2 mp and they both have anit shake and sensor cleaner. The K10D, is water proof and dust proof seals, whichnone of the others have. The D50 is much cheaper, but seems to be a step behind.None of the Nikons have these features . I would like some advise on how important anti shake, sensor cleaner, and 10 mp vs 6 pm. This will be my first DSLR. Many years ago I had an Minolta SRT101, but have been using point and shoot for the most part. Not happy with the point and shoots. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
dougfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2006, 1:06 AM   #2

I think it depends on how much you want to spend. If you want to pay less than $700 for the camera plus a kit lens, you could consider the Pentax K100, the Nikon D50, and the Canon XT (which is still being sold). If you want to pay up to $1,000, you could go for the Nikon D80, the Canon XTi, the Pentax K10, and the Sony A100. The Pentax and and the Sony have image stabilization built into the camera body. The Sony supposedly has more noise at higher ISO's than the Nikon and the Canon. I haven't seen any reviews of the Pentax K10D yet.

What is it about point and shoots that has left you unsatisfied so far? What do you take pictures of normally? Do you take a lot of pictures in low light?

I strongly suggest you go to a camera store and get hands on experience with as many of the DSLR's as you can. I, for example, think the Canon XT and XTi are fine, but others find them too small and awkward to handle.

When you get into DSLR's, as many people will tell you, the main expense often ends up being the lenses and not the camera.

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:06 PM   #3

What do you plan on using the camera for? If you are a birder/wildlife photographerand will be heavily cropping your pictures, then 10 mp would be important. If you are going to take family photos and don't need to crop all that much, 6 mp is fine.

Anti shake is going to be very important to some, but not to others. If you take all your pictures at fast shutter speeds and are not going to be using a long telephoto lens, it might not be very important. I'm not as steady as I used to be so for me anti shake is quite important.

My opinion only - the Pentax K100D is a very nice camera (I have one and it's not going anywhere). It has the ability to work (more or less) as a point and shoot, with an auto setting where everything is left up to the camera (I've handed it to my other half who has never owned a camera in his life, told him where the on/off switch was and he took some very nice pictures). It can also be a full-featured, completely manual camera by changing some settings here and there, many of them in the menu system. The K10 took many of those adjustments out of the menu system and put them on additional dials and buttons on the camera body, making them easier to change. That's great for someone who understands what they all do and either knows how to use them or loves to experiment. But all those things could be very confusing to someone who doesn't understand what they all mean, and so there's a bigger learning curve.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote