Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 5, 2006, 1:21 PM   #1

[align=left]Hello, [/align]

[align=left]I want to buy a camera for my husband. He is very good at taking pictures (official photographer for family and friend's events, wonderful landscapes, and incredible macros). [/align]
[align=left]It has to be a surprise but I really have NO idea about cameras. PLEASE help me! :?[/align]
[align=left]I was thinking of spending about $1500 for the camera body only. [/align]
[align=left]My husband has two Canon cameras (Powershot I think). For that reason I thought about the Canon EOS 30D?[/align]
[align=left]But then I read the reviews about the Canon EOS 5D and I think that perhaps I should just get him one basic lens and the EOS 5D instead. [/align]
[align=left]My husband needs an SRL camera. He is always complaining about the bad quality of the pictures when there is not sufficient light. So, I would like to get him a professional/semi-professional camera. The camera has to take good macros (I discarded the Canon Digital Rebel XT/400D because I read bad reviews about the macros it takes).[/align]
[align=left]My questions are:[/align]
[align=left]1) Is it worth it going over my planned budget and buy the Canon EOS 5D instead of theCanon EOS 30D?[/align]
[align=left]2) Is there any other camera (any other brand) that you would recommend for about $1500?[/align]
[align=left]3) If I were to buy a "basic lens" or two. What should they be? What is important to know? [/align]
[align=left]Thank you very much in advance for your help and all the best, :-)[/align]
Amarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2006, 2:01 PM   #2

You are considering a very wonderful Christmas present for your husband. As you have already determined, the Canon XT, has just recently been replaced with the Canon XTi, Logic would say that there is a fair to middling chance that the 30D might soon be replaced by a 40D.

Why not do this. Make an arrangement with a local retailer to have a Canon 30D wrapped and under the Christmas tree for him, but with the provision that should your husband want to exchange the 30D for another camera such as the 5D, that would be agreeable to the retailer. Here is just a suggestion, based soley on what I would do. It might or might not apply to yourself. Because lenses are such a personal choice, I would just have the 30D body under the tree with a note that $XXX.XX has been reserved for your "lenses of choice" fund.

By doing things that way, you have the ultimate in flexibility. The camera can be upgraded to the 5D, if he desires, and he can make his own choices with regard to the lenses. The retailer will love you dearly because of the potential for increase business, and you should be able to get a good deal on the 30D body.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 2:38 PM   #3

Thank you very much for your reply, MT/Sarah.

I really want to get my husband a camera because he is "conservative" with our money decisions and needs a little push from me and my non-informed decisions from time to timeā€¦.

However, both camera & lenses are a very personal present and I have NO idea about photography. I am afraid that I will not get him what he would feel most comfortable with. What you propose is an excellent idea. That way I can be on the safe side.

I truly appreciate your help.:-)

All the best,

Amarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 2:55 PM   #4

5D is real nice camera but for starters, I would say save money on camera and buy better lenses. Coming from powershot, rebel XTi would be real nice. You can buy him cheap 50mm f1.8 lens to start with. Youc an buy the camera for under $800 while the 50mm is around $80. He can buy nice macro lens later on.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 3:01 PM   #5
Super Moderator

If you can afford it then a 5D with 24-105L kit lens (comes in one box) would make him very happy at Xmas and should keep him sweet all through next year too. :-) That is what he would really really want, if you could get him to admit it.

Alternatively (for a bit less quality, but more flexibility straight away) you could get him a 30D with the Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM lens (this comes sometimes as a kit) and also the (new) Canon EF 70-300 mm IS USM lens.

He will be a very happy boy at Xmas either way.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote