Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 7, 2006, 2:10 PM   #1

I searched back a few months and could find this topic, this may have already been asked. I'm deciding between the 350 and the 400, it's about a $200 price difference for me wetween the two. My sister has the 350D and has about $2500 in lenses and accesories so I'm pretty set on the Canon to take advantage of that (love the 70-200mm 2.8L lens). My primary use for this camera is sports photographs. Here are my questions:

1. Is the jump from 8.0mp to 10.1 mp going to make a significant difference? Does 10.1 allow me to crop larger images and get better results after I "zoom in" on an area?

2. Do any of the other features (dust cleaning, improved focus, ect) make a real difference in the end?

I'm a novice user at this point and don't mind spending the extra money but if it's not really going to make a difference I'd rather get a 50mm 1.8 lens and a battery grip with the extra money.

Thanks for your help.

babacah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2006, 3:44 PM   #2

I currently own and use the Canon XT (350D) and am very pleased with it. I have also considered the issue of moving up to the 400D. However, I have decided against that move.

(1) There is not that much difference between 8mp and 10mp.

(2) Dust Reduction is a non-issue. I use the Copperhill Method and it works well.

(3) I have tried the 400D and the focus did not seem that much speedier to me.

(4) The 400D lacks spot metering, and has a hard time with backlighting.

All in all, I feel the money is better spent on glass versus a camera body.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote