Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 17, 2006, 2:08 AM   #1

I know this is somewhat last-minute, but being a college student just finishing finals I have good reason to not have done much Christmas shopping prior to now. I am in search of a camera that would be ideal for a late-60's grandmother who is not too tech-savvey. I attempted convincing her that disposables are good cameras, but she's no fool and would like better-quality photos. What is a good camera that has the basic functions and is as easy to use as possible? I would really appreciate anyone who has had any experiences similar to this! Happy Holidays!
danphotokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2006, 8:16 AM   #2

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

For people to better provide comments, you may want to add any other specific features that you are looking for (e.g. extra large LCD if her sight is not too good, pocket size or not, zoom range, battery type, etc.).

I do not have experience with cameras and the elderly, but I am currently looking for a camera for my 12 year old daughter...something that is relatively easy to use. I am looking at the Canon A540 which seems to be well built, good ratings, good features, takes SD card and AA batteries, is not too small or too big to handle, and has a decent size 2.5" LCD. It looks like you can get one now for about US $170. There are a few out there $100-$150, but the quality does not seem tobe as good. Of course you can go with a better camera (higher MP,higher zoom, image stabilization, etc.) butat higher cost.

Good Luck!
mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 10:22 AM   #3

I always recommend Kodak for these types of situations. They seem to have figured out how to make the software and controls fairly simple so that they're easily understood, but still useful. Both my sisters and my wife use Kodak and are always pleased by them.

I will say, however, to avoid the C-series Kodaks since they're mainly made of plastic and the one I gave my sister broke and required warranty repair right after she received it. I know things break, but my wife has a V-series (the V530) and it's an aluminum body and just feels more solid (obviously). The C643 that we gave my sister feels kind of cheap, though it takes nice pictures.

Look on Kodak's site and you can find some nice deals through their store. My wife got her camera refurbished from Kodak (with a printer dock, no less) and she loves it. I like it much more than the Canon S400 Digital Elph it replaced.

The docking station that Kodak uses also seems to be easy for people to understand.

rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote