Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 20, 2006, 6:09 AM   #1

Ok, for those of you who participated in my first thread:

You know i have good motivations to invest in a dSLR now. I settled on the Pentax K100, found a great deal, arranged for a friend to buy it in the states for 200$ less than in Europe, confirmed through Pentax that she can claim the rebate on it. Then she is sending it via military mail to avoid shipping and Vat. I went to the store here, held it, played with it, loved it. Ordered some books from Amazon. All set right?

Well, I came across a thread here a while ago (and darn if i cant find it now) discussing the disadvantages of dSLRs, and I do remember 'children' and 'macro shots' specifically being addressed. For people with dSLRs.....we can use our cameras to learn, play, make nice photos, etc and have the flexibility to get more and more advanced as we learn techniques etc.... But am i burning myself a little bit by having a dSLR as my ONLY camera? What about those shots where my children do something funny and I just want to whip out my cam and get a shot of it - no fiddling. Are the 'auto' features on the K100D such that I can have P&S with it if need be?

I cannot afford to buy two cameras right now and the aforesaid (previous thread) Olympus is all but dead (I think the light sensor is dead - the camera only works in 'flash off' mode now). I did come across this thread http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=87
which recommended the Fuji F30/F31 for a 'mom' camera. As I said in the first thread, I WILL be buying a dSLR eventually, but am having second thoughts about it being my ONLY camera on hand. I fondled the Fuji as well, and was tempted to get it then and there and spent the extra money on a new laptop instead and get the dSLR perhaps next christmas......

Mtnclimber/Sarah, Jim, etc - tell me its ok to have a dSLR in those P&S quicky situations....or tell me to shut up and go get the F30 now so I can stop using disposable cameras to get xmas pics of my daughter :G

Either way, I need to get off the darn pot and decide already before the rebate offer expires. :lol:

MichelleBuerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2006, 7:23 AM   #2

The benefit the digicam offers is it's size. Because it is smaller you are more likely to have it with you when away from home. Even in the home, if you last used your DSLR with a telephoto lens on it and left that lens on, then when one of those moments occurs you're out of luck. But, assuming you have the "right" lens on it you can pick it up just as easily as a digicam and take your shot - start-up time, shutter lag and focus speed are going to be better on the DSLR than the digicam so assuming both camers were side by side and you grabbed one and your husband grabbed the other - the DSLR user would have a better chance of getting the shot (because of start-up, focus speed and shutter lag). As for the possibility of the camera being in the wrong mode - that possibility exists with any camera - a digicam can be left in the wrong mode just as easily as a DSLR can.

Where the digicam shines is when you're going out - being able to throw a camera in a pocket or purse increases the likelihood you'll take it with you and have it out-and-about.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 7:50 AM   #3

I've taken to keeping either the DA 50-200 or the kit lens on my Pentax camera whenever I'm not doing something specific (i.e., right before I put it away, I change to one of those lenses, set the mode to P and AF. That way, if I'm driving and there's a pretty sunset or something, my hubby (who knows nothing about cameras and photography) can grab my camera and start shooting. For a guy who can count the number of times he's held a camera on his fingers, he does pretty well.

But asJohnG mentioned, are you willing to carry it around/have it handy? That is a big question and many people will say no. I happen to say yes, it doesn't bother me at all to cart around my camera bag, but its a personal thing and only you can decide for yourself.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 9:43 AM   #4

Yes, just about all consumer-level dSLRs have pretty extensive "Auto" modes that mimic what you'd find in the point & shoot cameras. I haven't used them much, but there are occasions where my wife wants to take some shots so I'll set my K100D to the green "Auto-Pict" mode and my wife will shoot away. She doesn't want to bother with settings so she's happy. I like to play with the settings so I shoot in many of the manual modes.

I have a zoom that's 28-300 so it covers a wide range. If I want to take some shot indoors quickly, I can do it (though I may have to use the flash). If I want to run outside and take a quick shot of aliens landing the next field, I can do that as well. I just have to remember to leave that lens on the camera. I also try to leave the kit lens on the camera most of the time since it's lighter and takes better pictures than the zoom.

It's true with a dSLR in particular (and any camera in general) that you need to anticipate a little bit what you may want to do (quick shots) and remember to put the camera on the appropriate setting. The dSLR will also need the appropriate lens. Will you miss a shot or two? Maybe, probably. However, you'll quickly learn to think about these things and it won't seem like a big deal.

Of course, the best part of the dSLR is that you can customize it with just the right lens for a particular situation and get shots well beyond what you could get with a point & shoot. The Point & Shoot will get great shots of many situations, decent shots of others, and no shots of some. The dSLR can be set up to get shots in much wider range of situations.

Don't overanalyze the situation. Just buy the camera and use it. You'll get used to it and love it, I'm sure.

rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:36 PM   #5

The only advantage of a smaller camera is that you are more likely to have it with you. Otherwise the DSLR will take the pictures you describe better than a small sensor camera – period. It will focus, shoot and cycle faster. You can crank the ISO up at least as well as ANY small sensor and much better than most, and you have the added advantage of stabilization with the high ISO. You can see what you are shooting better and have much better versatility. You can shoot in full auto or do things like blur the backgrounds in portraits using more advanced controls.

If portability isn't a problem stick with what you have.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote