Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 20, 2006, 2:04 PM   #1
*M2

I am finally ready to make my purchase of a digital camera. I asked over the summer for some advice. I have little photography knowledge but am very interested in learning. Bought some books - will probably take a class soon.

Anyway, my needs are mostly family photography but occasionally have needed zoom and low light for concerts or ceremonies where my cheapo just produced blurry, dark photos.

The s6000 was strongly recommended. Is it THAT much better than the 5200? I know the s6000 has the face detection...what else makes it approximately $200 more (in terms an amateur can understand, please).

Thanks so much for your help!

Mary
*M2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2006, 3:12 PM   #2

The really big advantage of the S6000 is the excellent high ISO capability. If you are going to use a long telephoto without stabilization you will want the capability of boosting the ISO without the noise becoming terrible. Cranking up the ISO lets you generate a higher shutter speed. It is useful at all lens ranges in limited light. You can take photos in conditions where another camera would fail to get a bright or unblurred image.

The S6000 also has a good wide angle, which is very useful for general photography. You get more in a scene and can get photos where you can't back off enough to get everyone or everything in the photo without a wide angle.

The difference is more like $150 online and I find it worth the difference.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 6:54 PM   #3

Mary,

In addition to what slipe said, the S6000 also has a larger sensor, one more MP, a larger,higher resolution LCD, a faster lens, a wider range of shutter speeds, a stronger flash, manual focus ring, and a manual zoom ring. That's a lot of improvements, and I would say worth the money.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:30 PM   #4

Mary, in addition to what slipe and rinnie have said, the S6000fd is what all the cool kids are getting this year!
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 2:26 AM   #5

For overall performance and picture quality, the S6000fd is superior. The one area where it may lag behind the S5200 is in high zoom in low light. That's because at max zoom (10X - 380 mm), the aperture is f3.2 for the S5200 and something like f4.9 for the S6000fd. That means that you may have to use twice as slow a shutter speed or twice as high an ISO setting to get the same light to the sensor. So, if you are thinking of using a camera primarily for indoor sports, I t hink the S5200 is slightly better.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 9:42 PM   #6
*M2

Thanks for the information, everyone!

Two more questions, and I'm ready to make a purchase:

1. My husband has just asked what computer program you need. We have an older computer and are running windows 98 se. He's afraid the s6000 may not be compatible with our outdated system.

2.Do you recommend purchasing the warranty?

I reallydo appreciateall of your valuable information!

Mary

Old Dec 25, 2006, 6:10 PM   #7

98 SE????? Even I had Windows ME before I got XP (LOL). Seriously, I don't think you will have a problem, so long as your computer has an available USB port, and it recognizes when something is plugged into it. To be honest, I can't remember how 98 works, since it's been so long... Hey, if it doesn't work it would be a great excuse to buy a new computer, now wouldn't it?

I personally don't believe in purchasing extended warranties, so I would say no to number 2.

Good luck with your new camera.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2006, 7:54 PM   #8

These are the system requirements for the S6000:
Windows 98/98SE/2000/ME/XP - Pentium - 200 MHz - 256 MB - 450 MB I would guess the 256 MB is the RAM and 450 MB the hard drive. If the computer came with Win98 SE it is probably faster than 200 MHz.

For Win98 SE you will likely have to install drivers for the camera but not have to worry about USB drivers as you would with Win98. The driver should be on the CD that comes with the camera and the installation is usually pretty painless. Do pay attention to the instructions regarding whether you install the software or plug the camera in first.

Consumer Reports recommends against extended warranties for anything but large screen TVs. Their logic is that they will likely go bad within the normal warranty if there is a manufacturing fault, and the gamble isn't generally worth the cost for the extended warranties.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 7:03 PM   #9
*M2

Got the S6000 yesterday! Thanks to everyone for the advice! I bought "digital photography for dummies" and am trying to get through the manual. I am thinking a class would be VERY beneficial. There's a lot of information to try and retain...it's a bit overwhelming! I am very excited to learn how to use this camera and hope at some point to move on to SLRs....

Thanks again!

(I may be back for more help...after I get through the manual...don't wanna anybody rippin' on me! )