Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 20, 2006, 4:32 PM   #1

I am looking for an ultra-compact camera for travelling and scuba diving. I currently have the Sony DSC-T1, and really like it except for the weak flash and lack of image stabilizer(especially when taking underwater pics and drifting in a current).

WhenI began to research a new cameraI had 3 criteria: image stabilizer, underwater housingthatcan goat least 33 meters/100 feet deep, and a highISO (to compensate for the weak flash found in most ultra-compacts). I have narrowed it down to the Canon SD800 IS and the Sony DSC-T10. They both have image stabilization, underwater housings, and a high ISO (sony ISO of 1000, canon 1600).

I have read numerous reveiws on both cameras and they both sound like good cameras. I like the look and feel of the T10 (smaller and sleeker compared to the canon)and the menu system of the T10, mainly because it's whatI've used for the last 3 yearsor so. But I have heard very good things about the image procesor in the Canon.

I am completely stumped. Any opinions/suggestions would be greatlyappreciated.
ramez18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2006, 7:48 PM   #2

Neither of those cameras are very good above ISO400. Just because the ISO will go to a given level doesn't mean you can get much use out of it unless you just want very small prints. DCRP tests all of the ISOs.

SD 800 http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca..._sd800-review/

T30 – I think it has the same sensor and optics as the T10:

I have read from users that the T10/30 just cranks up the ISO to get more flash range. The SD800 has a stronger flash unit and doesn't have to crank up the ISO as far for flash shots.

The SD800 has a wide angle lens. I don't know how significant that is to you. If 38mm is wide enough also look at the SD700.

You seem to get along fine without an optical viewfinder. I prefer having one.

You can get a little more utility out of higher ISO with noise reduction software. Noise Ninja, Neat Image and Noiseware are probably the best. Neat Image has a demo that doesn't expire and is considered freeware. You might give it a try.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote