Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 26, 2006, 1:02 PM   #21

davepw wrote:
Any thoughts on how to get this lens budget closer to $1000 and still give me the versatility to shoot indoor volleyball/basketball, outdoor baseball/soccer, and use the 30D as an all around camera for portraits and travel, would be great!

I understand I need to compromise somewhere, so just trying to find the sweet spot.

As mentioned earlier - 200mm is too short for baseball and soccer. So if you want to use either of those excellent 70-200mm lenses you'll want a 1.4x TC for it. But, if your games are all day games, you can knock some of the price down by going with the Canon 70-300 IS USM lens (about $550). If there is any chance of evening games under lights, forget this option as the lens will be useless and stick to the 2.8 lenses. So, if day games and you can't afford a TC then the 70-300 might be a better fit for less money. If any evening games or you can swing the TC then go with the 70-200 2.8

You can also save money buy only buying a single 1.8 lens - the 85 is the better of the two but it means you're very tight on the action and some people don't like that (for instance the 85mm is too tight to shoot from under the basket you really need to shoot more from the corners) - so if you prefer a wider shot, go with the 50mm. It's slower to focus and hit or miss past 20-25 feet on a moving target but hey, it's only $75.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 12:57 AM   #22

Thank you all for the added feedback.

After more reading today, I am getting very comfortable with my plan to order the Canon 30D ($900 after double rebate) with:
Canon 50mm 1.8 $ 80
Canon 85mm 1.8 $290 (after double rebate)
Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 $330

The total price of $1600 for this initial package feels good, and input from many sources aligns very well with the great guidance I received here. I gave some thought to several Canon zooms (17-40 f4/L, 17-55 2.8, 24-85. 24-105) and a couple of Tamron zooms, but the Sigma has a nice range, lots of good reviews, and a great price. The Canon primes seem like staples for indoor sports shooting.

Down the road, for outdoor sports and other zoom needs, I expect to add one of:
Sigma 70-200 f2.8n $800
Canon EF 70-200 f4.0L USM $575 (currently $500 after double rebate)
(probably with a TC with the 70-200s per John's suggestion)
Canon 70-300 IS 4-5.6 $530
(also, per John, I think this is my front-runner right now)

All the lenses in this roadmap have excellent professional and consumer reviews at many sites., and came highly recommended here

Any additional thoughts are very welcome and appreciated...

davepw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 4:12 PM   #23

I've ordered the Canon 30D and the 85mm f1.8 lens from B&H...should be getting it tomorrow...can't wait!

I also want to pick up a zoom lens so I can start practicing, but I'm still trying to figure out likely longer term lens roadmap(wow, so many choices -- very complex to do it well), so I will transfer the discussion to the Canon SLR lens forum here (and possibly one other).

Thank you all very much for your polite help in making sure I make a well-educated decision -- I very much appreciated all your guidance!

davepw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 4:27 PM   #24

I think you made a great decision and can't wait for you to post some pictures!

PS: I'm also jealous....
techaide2 is offline   Reply With Quote