Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 25, 2006, 7:23 PM   #1

Canon or Casio? what is de advantage and disadvantage os these cameras?
Njjordison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2006, 8:24 PM   #2

The Casio has some nifty features. It has full manual everything if you want to use it and a very good control setup. It is highly configurable with 5 settings each for contrast, sharpening and saturation. You can also determine which items stay the way they were and which return to default when you cycle the camera off and back on.

It has MPEG4 with a past movie mode I really like. You can just aim the camera and wait for something worth filming to happen. After it happens you start filming and it includes the previous 5 seconds from the buffer. It keeps you from having to grind away waiting for the fish to jump again or the toddler to do something cute. It also has a movie light. MPEG4 lets you record about four times the movies on the same card as the SD600. They improved the Z850 movies with firmware that will probably come with a new camera. If it doesn't it is easy and free to update it. The movies with the new firmware have a slight zoom built in but are quite good.

The Z850 can also take three full frame flash shots in a second, has a decent flash and a good burst mode.

But if you just want a point and shoot you don't have to mess with to get good photos you might prefer the SD600. You get well under half the shots per charge as the Z850, but you will probably do fine with 160 photos in an outing. The Z850 gets 440. The SD600 is slightly heavier but also slightly less bulky. The SD600 has a higher resolution LCD screen than the Z850. I would personally prefer the SD600 to the SD630 because the 630 gives up the optical viewfinder to get a larger LCD. You might look at the SD630 if you don't use the eyelevel viewfinder. Both the SD600 and Z850 have optical viewfinders.

Both of those cameras have excellent lenses and will give good photos.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:20 AM   #3

negative on the sd600. I own one. The pics are "OK"

But I find it has a lot of trouble getting the correct exposure, and the flash just blasts away detail. You have to go to -1.5ev to get any amount of detail at all. I had a fuji finepix Z2 which was PERFECT in this respect. Masterful metering and exposure.... but bad picture quality because of over-agressive noise reduction.....

SD600: Not a bad cam, but if you don't absolutely need tiny size, there are much better options for less.

mongrelchild is offline   Reply With Quote