Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 27, 2006, 10:41 AM   #1

I need help findinga good point and shoot for photographing kids and toddlers both indoors and out.

I need the digicam to be better than average in the following areas.

lag time.

shot to shot. or good burst/buffer capabilities

picture quality.

Simple. (doesn't requirea lot ofadjusting or playingwith different settings)

I have beenstudying reviews and oppinions for over a week. I am impressed with fujifilm's F30. The only weaknesses I've heard that it has is 1. it tends to hunt quite a bit when shooting closer subjects, and 2.when sooting in bright outdoor situations it can have a lot of contrast between bright and shady areas and it can overexpose. It seems that weakness 2. can be improved, but what about the hunting problems?

Cannon's SD700 IS seems to be another nice digicam.

I haven't seen a lot of info on the newF31 or the SD800IS, I don't know wether they would be better options or not.

Is there any other good point and shoots I should consider?
toekneecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2006, 6:51 PM   #2

The F30 would certainly seem to meet all of your posted requirements. The F31 adds Face Detection, which could help when taking pics of kids/toddlers. I've read several professional reviews, and have spoken to two people who own F30's, and cannot confirm the hunting problem you allude to. Maybe it was a defective unit? At any rate, no camera is going to be perfect...there will always be tradeoffs. The Canon's are great cameras, but if low light performance is an issue, the nod goes to the Fuji.

Good luck with your choice.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 12:06 AM   #3

thanks, for the input.

the hunting problem I read about was on http://www.dpreview.comreview for the F30. It didn't seem like it was a major issue, just when using macro.

happy holidays!
toekneecam is offline   Reply With Quote