Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 2, 2007, 4:05 AM   #1

I am looking for a simple everyday compact P&S camera. My plans are to carry the camera in my pocket 24/7 and take random everyday shots. I do not want to mess with manual settings, just auto and scene modes. I need help deciding between:

Canon Powershot SD700/800 IS (~$355/400 Depth: 1.04/0.99")

Casio Exilim EX-Z1000 (~$255: Depth: 0.88")

When I went to the store to try the cameras out for size (in my pocket) the Casio Exilim EX-700 (Depth: 0.81") seemed fine.The store did not have the SD700/800 or EX-Z1000 to try out.

If quality of the Canon is better I mightforgive its size. Other suggestions are welcomed.
FuzzyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:55 AM   #2

If the movie mode is important to you consider the Casio S770. With MPEG4 and the past movie mode it does a nice job.

The Canons are more versatile cameras for still photos IMO. You have more zoom range for one thing. The SD700 uses this for more telephoto and the SD800 for wide angle. Wide angle is useful for everyday photography.

The Canons also combine true optical image stabilization with good ISO 400 performance. The digital stabilization on the Casios works OK for movies but doesn't do much for still photos. ISO 400 on the Casios tend to muddle detail with too much noise reduction. The combination of OIS and ISO 400 on the Canons give you decent low light capability if the subject isn't moving.

You also get a steadier hold with an optical viewfinder. I also prefer an optical viewfinder in bright sunlight or when trying to quickly acquire and follow a moving target when zoomed. None of the really slim Casio cameras have a viewfinder other than the LCD. The Casio Z850 has a viewfinder and is somewhat slim, but you don't need most of the extra features.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 2:26 AM   #3

If the thickness of the camera is important to you, have a look at the Casio EX-S600 or S770. Even with a case, the thin camera fits easily into a pocket or purse. My wife loves her EX-S500 for P&S, and also the multiple Best Shot scenes. We have taken over 1300 pictures between us on a recent holiday, and there is not no real difference between our pictures (I have a Sony H5). My bird shots are technically better due to thebigger zoom and smaller depth of field, but her composition is usually more artistic!

Battery life on her camera is also far better than mine - only downside is lack of a vewfinder in very bright light, but the more recent models have upgraded LCDs.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote