Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:55 AM   #1

Please help me find a replacement for my Nikon N60. It was a good friend and true, but now it's dead and the camera repair shop guy said that it would cost more to fix it than it cost in the beginning. Since I'd been thinking of going digital anyhow, this is the time.

I use my camera primarily for wildlife photography, with a 40-240 zoom that just about lives there on the camera. Since I hardly ever swap out the long zoom for the wide angle or the macro lenses, I'mthinking of backing from from SLRs andlooking at the 10-12X super zooms such as the Canon Powershot S3 IS, the Sony Cybershot H5, or the Panasonic DMC-F27. The camera needs to be sturdy and take great pictures. ( I'm hoping a smaller, lighter camera would take less of a beating. )

Other than wildlife, I take pictures of scenery, so there is some desire for a wide angle capacity. I take close up pictures of wildflowers so I can look them up in a wildflower book when I get home, so close up capability would be nice. I take pictures of people and pets indoors.

Given that a lot of those pictures happen in strange places, easy to acquire batteries would be a real plus, which gives the Sony an edge. You can find AA batteries just about anywhere. Budget ? Less than 600$, but I can probably be persuaded to spend more. I have the vacation of a lifetime coming up in March, so I need to have the camera and have it figured out by then, so I can't procrastinate and wait for the New ! Improved !models.

Thanks !

NightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links