Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 7, 2007, 6:53 PM   #1

Hi, my name is Caren and for a few years still I am luck enough to be a stay at home mom. Before that I had started taking some photography classes and found that I loved it! I learned just enough to catch the bug, but not nearly enough to really have any idea what I was doing and lucky me I don't even try to pretend to be smarter than I am! I actually loved the darkroom work the most but with the DSRL's out I guess that is kind of a dead issue. I was looking into a DSLR for a few things but I am not sure what I need. For the next few years it will be vacation shots and pics of my dear/devil little boys. But some day I have dreams of portrait photography for babies and children as well as pregnancy and birth photography.

After talking to a wonderful man at Ritz he actually suggested the D50 over the D80. The 80 feels better and more natural in my hand and I'm not totally sure why he suggested the 50. I know that the 80 has more megapixels but he said the 50 is fine if you shoot RAW. (I had to look this up to even have an idea of what he meant.) I know that I have a ton to learn and I am excited to do so, but I would rather get something to grow into than something I will (hopefully) outgrow. Any ideas or help would be wonderful!

ACTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2007, 8:00 PM   #2

Welcome aboard Caren.

I would go with the camera that feels comfortable in my hands if I'll be holding it for a long time.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 6:36 AM   #3

I agree - go with what feels best to you.

Also, another bit of advice - I wouldn't rely to heavily on the advice of a Ritz camera salesman. I'm sure there are some knowledgeable photographers working there somewhere but I've never been impressed by the few I've talked to. And invariably they will push their Quantaray crap lenses on you.

I would also advise you to ask in the Nikon Lens forum for recommendations on which lens to start with. RJSEENEY is a great resource for Nikon gear - he's used quite a few different cameras and lenses and knows what he's talking about.

Finally, unless you don't prefer to do so, I would highly suggest you look at an on-line vendor like www.bhphotovideo.com for your purchase. Typically you'll save anywhere from $50-$100 off the price of the camera versus a local camera store price. In the end, it's up to you - just an idea (and no I don't work for B&H - I'm just a very happy customer).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:11 AM   #4

I actually get a BH catalog I'm just not sure when one will come again but I did take a look at the site. Thanks for the suggestion. I will ask around about lenses for sure because the guy at Ritz did suggest the Quantaray lenses. And like I said, I don't even try to pretend that I know alot, I truly know almost no more than I enjoy it so all the help I can get is great. Thanks again!
ACTN is offline   Reply With Quote