Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 13, 2007, 1:00 PM   #1

Best Regards to all Members!!
I need your help to choose in my options budget

1) Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi (a.k.a. 400D) 10.1 Megapixel SLR Black Camera Kit with EF-S 18-55 Lens and Sigma AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Telephoto Zoom Macro Super II Camera Lens for Canon EOS

2) Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT(Bk) (a.k.a. 350D) 8.0 Megapixel SLR Black Camera Kit with EF-S 17-85mm IS USM Lens

3) Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT(Bk) (a.k.a. 350D) 8.0 Megapixel SLR Black Camera Kit with EF-S 18-55 Lens and Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Standard Zoom Camera Lens

I woud like to get pictures of birds, outdoors, and macros too

Thanks for your attention!!!
Daniel_Arg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2007, 3:11 PM   #2

If you had to choose just one of those setups to do what you're describing, your first option is easily the best. You get a litle extra megapixel and more features on the XTI (though I don't remember exactly what), and your range of focal lengths here is quite complete.

For birding and other nature photography, you really want as much zoom as you can get. The 70-300mm is the only lens you mentioned that would be appropriate for shooting birds, and it has macro ability. Also, if the EF-S 18-55 is the same as the one on the original Digital Rebel, it should be a good starter lens for close-up macros.

The best general purpose lens you mention is the 28-135mm with IS. This lens has a decent range and with the IS would allow for shooting in lower light conditions. A good tourist lens.

I'm not sure if there's some reason you're only looking at Canon cameras. I'd suggest you also have a look at the Pentax K100d if you're trying to be budget conscious. This camera has built in stabilization, which means that with a similar 70-300mm lens, it would be able to use much slower shutter speeds than the Canon would, allowing for shooting in darker conditions. The only comparable solution on the Canon is to get the lens with IS built in, which is much more expensive.

Each camera has it's strengths and weaknesses though. If you prefer to shoot JPG over RAW, and like to shoot a lot of high speed bursts, I'd go with one of the Canons.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote