Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:51 PM   #1

You knowthe thing that is worrying me about upgrading to either super zoom or dslr? (well.... one of the things.....) I look at online galleriesof beautiful bird in flight and macro and night shot photos that appear to have been taken by point and shoot level cameras that are on my short list or even have much less zoom. But I have no idea how much filtering, special effect, cropping and postprocessing was done to achieve the final results. I really want to learn to take lovely sharpnature shots, macro, birds, landscape, nightshots,etc. Are these images possible right out of the cameraor do people crop and process the bejeebers out of them to get a winner? I am not averse to straightening an otherwise beautiful sunset. But, if I can't reallyfill the frame with a heronskimming apond, without cropping the bird out of a much larger image and blowing it up, it seems I willbewasting money on a new camerawhen I should be spending mymoney andtime on Photoshop. Call me a purist, but that seemsheretical to me. More computer skills than photography skills.

I see in Steve's rules for the POTD (which by the way, I find VERY inspiring! Nice work, folks!!) that he is asking for minimal post processing. Is the concensus that folks do follow that rule and that those photos can be achieved right out of the camera? I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

camalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:22 AM   #2

Please keep in mind that the bottom line is simply this: any photo can be improved with some post processing. In my opinion, is it worth the time it takesto learn good post processing techniques.

That said, there is another simple rule of thumb regarding cameras. The camera capabilty has to match the photo task. From what I read in your post, a high quality ultrazoom can do the job for you. However, a DSLR camera will offer you a good deal more capability, and the ability to get photos that would press an ultra zoom very hard. If you can afford it, the DSLR is the better tool for your proposed type of photos.

However, there is a catch as well: most DSLR cameras assume that you will post process your photos. Therefore, there is less in camera processing due to the fact that DSLR cameras most always assume that you will post process.

So think about the options, please and we will be happy to help you more as you make those all important decisions, and move step by step through the decision process.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote