Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 24, 2007, 8:32 PM   #11

Goday Mate....

What's this about sounding American? Do they "sound" so much different on a chat page?!

Anyway, I support the DSLR group, but think it is really important the get it soon....and spend alot of time learning how to use it before the trip. I bought my first DSLR about a month before a "once-in-a-lifetime" trip to Cambodia and Thailand. The pics were good (or so I thought) until I started to realize what I'd done wrong, long after the trip was over.

There's lots more to it than just a good slide show for relatives, when you get home.

You will probably want to blow-up some images for prints of the memories. You'll probably get more involved with the process, after the trip, if you don't spend some (considerable) time before, learning the camera..AND printing/display process.

I think the D50(more lens possiblities in the future than the D40)/70-300vr is a good recommendation, but.....I've never been to Africa....so, take it or leave it.

BTW.....does "sounding American" constitute a BAD thing for you?
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 3:25 AM   #12
Super Moderator

I agree with Kita I wouldn't go for the D40 but rather the D50 as previously suggested but don't think I gave a rational for the choice however it is due to the lens issue.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Have you had any more thoughts which way you might want to go?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 9:53 AM   #13

you want a camera with a minimum 300mm lens-35mm equivalent- and probably greater if you want to get pictures of birds.

cshel is offline   Reply With Quote