Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 23, 2007, 2:49 PM   #11

MT/Sarah - I bought my H5 in Singapore so it must be a cut down version!

No, my H5 can go up to ISO1000, but from the comparitive shots I did in an indoor market and from other pictures, ISO400 seemed more acceptable to me for my low light pictures without flash.

My post was probably misleading to Bamajen and I apologise if this was the case. The trouble is that some camera manufacturersquote very high ISOs in the specifications for a particular model, but it is obvious from the reviews that the results at these high ISOs will be unacceptable to most people. My understanding of the Fuji F30 and 6500 models (again from several expert reviews) is that their ISO1600 performance is comparable to ISO400 on models such as the H5 and S3.

Perhaps if I was prepared to do more noise reduction with PP, I would use ISO 800 on my H5. On the other hand, if I had been more interested in low light shots than birds, my purchase would probably have been the 6500 (if it was a bit smaller!), or an entry level SLR - maybe later when I am a more competent photographer, and can justify the cost of good lenses. At the moment I'm still delighted with the H5, particularly now that I have the Sony 1.7 teleconverter.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:15 AM   #12

Thanks for your post. I too have found that the best ISO setting for existing light photos when using my Sony H-5 is ISO 400. I also own the Fuji S-6000 (sold overseas as the Fuji S-6500) and it produces excellent existing light photos at ISO 800 and ISO 1600. The S-6000 is abit wider, but about the same size asthe Sony H-5. Please see the attached photo.

Attached Images
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote