Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 22, 2007, 8:59 AM   #1

I collect watches & i want totake some good quality pics of my collection.I have a Minolta Dimage 7 but it is not working properly anymore& i want to know what is the best camera to buy for taking close up pictures of watch dials & movements,which need to show alot of detail.I do not have a huge budget,approx £350.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jaxawild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2007, 10:17 AM   #2

The Nikon Coolpix 990 and 995 are famous for absolutely fabulous macro shots. Check e-bay, you may find a real bargain.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 1:25 PM   #3

I don't know the pricing in the UK, but the Canon S3 is within your price range here. In normal macro you can get the camera a good distance from the target and still get an area between 8.5 and 10cm across. That has the advantage of being able to get good lighting on your subject. It also gives a lot less distortion.

The S3 also has a super macro mode that lets you focus down all the way to something touching the lens. That doesn't have much practical value as there is no way to get light on the target. But you can focus as close as you can get light on the target.

This has the macro tests: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons3is/page5.asp

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote