Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 27, 2007, 6:21 AM   #11

I guess another reason I don't want to buy a DSLR is because I don't know much about them. Don't you need to be knowledgable with manual settings to use them efficiently?
tennisforums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 9:36 AM   #12

No, the current crop of consumer level DSLR cameras are designed to be used by folks coming from point and shoot cameras. The mode selectors even have an "AUTO" position on them and all of the other familiar things you are used to seeing.

There are just two excepltions. There is no video clip mode and depending on the lens you have mounted on the DSLR, you may, or may not, be able to take macro shots. That is because you have to have mounted on the DSLR a lens capable of close focusing.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:44 AM   #13

As Sarah has said, you can absolutely use a DSLR in the auto modes or in pre-fab modes (scenic, night, portrait, sports) just like a digicam. But you're statement is still accurate - in order to get the most out of photography you eventually have to leave the automatic modes behind - whether using a digicam or a DSLR.

Also, I'll be honest - sports work is not easy. It takes practice and skill to produce quality shots. You have to develop good technique, good timing and be in the right position to capture the action. And, quality sports shots require post processing. You can have decent shots without it but not very good ones - especially when just learning. Pros will have very good shots out of the camera and make them great in PP - most of the rest of us require PP to get good to very good sports shots.

Also, if background blur is important to you, that requires some expensive LENSES for sports shooting. A decent starter lens for sports like tennis will be around $500 and you will have a little blur but not a lot- a good one around $800-$1000 - IF you're relatively close to the action - i.e. within 30 yards or so of the player. So, keep that in mind when considering spending money on a DSLR. So, don't be misled into thinking you can spend $600 and get a DSLR and lens capable of good sports shots. You can get a DSLR and kit lens capable of some very good shots outside of sports but for sports like tennis you'll spend $500-600 at least on the lens alone.

Not trying to discourage you - as a sports shooter I know a DSLR is the way to go. But I also know it's not a free ride and it's better for you to know that BEFORE you start spending $600 on a camera. Best of luck to you in your decision process.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote