Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 5, 2007, 3:21 PM   #21

You should not feel badly at all. The Panasonic FZ-7 has received great reviews and is a very capable of excellent photos. You have no doubt seen the example photos that I have posted in this thread.

I am guessing that your friend most probably has a DSLR camera. Keep in mind that a DSLR is something like an investment program. Yes, it is fast in its operation, but the expense of a DSLR camera just BEGINS with the initial camera puchase. Most folks are not 100% happy with the performance of the lens that came with the camera. So the buying begins. Most DSLR buyers own 2 or more lenses. DSLR lenses are not inexpensive. They begin around about $300 (which, by the way, is more than you paid for your FZ-7) and the lens price continue up well over $1,000.00. A DSLR lens that would equal the Leica Lens that you have on your FZ-7 would cost at least $500.00.

So it is unfair to directly compare a point & shoot ultra zoomcamera with aDSLR camera. They are apples and oranges, just different. You have an excellent camera at a one time, minimal cost than meet your needs and expectations nicely.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 7:28 PM   #22

Thank you again, Sarah.

I feel alot better about the decision. With the difference in price of the Canon S3 I bought a 2gb high speed SD card, an extended warranty, and a set of two rechargeable batteries. I think I got a great camera and a nice set up forabout $350.00 whichis I was expecting to spend just for the Canon S3.

Besides, this camera is just a step up from a simple point and shoot in an attempt to learn about shutter, aperature, and all the other types of functions I want to master before I delve into the DSLR market. I figure in another year or two they will be even more affordable and hopefully by then I'll be ready to take the plunge. I know I'll find lots of great advice on what to buy from this site. This site was essentialin my decision to go with the Pany.

Denise515 is offline   Reply With Quote