Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 3, 2007, 9:02 AM   #1

It's been hard to find a compact camera with wide angle lens. Most cameras have lens with 35mm or more. Kodak V570 has an amazing 23mm lens but it seems the camera works in fixed focus mode when this lens is selected. Is there other camera you recommend?
AlSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2007, 10:59 AM   #2

If you want a full focusing 24mm wide angle, consider the Kodak P-880, or the Nikon 8400, however, the 8400's are getting hardto find. If a 28mm wide angle will fill your needs, then consider the Panasonic FX07.

There are a few sugguestions. Have a great weekend!

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:00 AM   #3

For compact models, the main options are the Canon SD800IS, Olympus FE-200, Panasonic Lumix FX-07, and LX2, and the Leica D-Lux 3.

Good but not compact cameras with wide angles would include the Kodak P-880 and the Fuji S6000fd.

I would probably look first at the SD800 and the FX-07.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:18 AM   #4

If the V570 appeals to you there won't be a problem focusing the wide angle lens. 23mm equivalent with a 1/2.5 sensor with widest aperture around f4 will make everything from closer than you would want to use a wide angle to infinity in focus. I wouldn't be terribly pleased with the fixed focal length on the wide angle lens, but that is a completely different thing and can probably be gotten around with experience. There is a newer model out with more pixels, the V705.

If 28mm is wide enough for you, Panasonic makes several sub-compacts and compacts. The FX01, FX07 and FX50 are sub-compacts with wide angle, and the LX2 is a compact.

The Canon SD800 is a sub-compact with not only a 28mm wide but also an optical viewfinder.

If your secret location is outside North America you might look at the Ricoh R5.

All of those I mentioned except the Kodaks have true mechanical image stabilization.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 7:55 AM   #5

Thanks for the advices. I checked all suggested cameras but I think I'll stay with kodak's. As I already have a Panasonic FMZ5, I really want a compact camera and, as Slipe said, the fixed focus could be gotten around. Thanks again!

AlSpin is offline   Reply With Quote