Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:26 PM   #21

For the life of me, I can't figure out where you come up with descriptors such as bombastic ?

I don't think it's a polite question , using inflammatory words like bombastic, or relevant question, in fact I can't figure out your point ?

It's unfortunate that you choose to change the pleasant exchange of suggestions with the tone of your post.

BTW, I did read the preceding posts and I suggested the Pentax K10D as a viable alternative to the cameras being suggested.

Often times, a different view can trigger an individual to think about other options.
mtclimber wrote:
Just a very polite question, lesmore. Have you read the preceding posts, prior to postingyour rather bombastic post. I was just wondering. perhaps you can elighten me. Thanks! But, quite honestly,I don't think that you did the logical/correct/polite thing to do when posting on forums. That is taking the time to read the preceding posts. Gotcha!

lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 2:19 AM   #22

Hi Les, I think what Sarah meant was that as a student the original poster was hoping to save a little on costs and also get a smaller sized DSLR for travelling around Europe - something the D10D decidely is not.

Personally I am going to buy a K10D as soon as I can get my hands on one (unless I can be persuaded to buy the D80 instead, it seems to be going for the same price here in Shanghai, around US$1,000) .... decisions, decisions, decisions ! So obviously I would agree with your suggestion - but just maybe not in this case.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 7:01 AM   #23

I think you'll find that both the image quality and the lens quality from Olympus at least matches Canon and Nikon for most purposes. Image quality will be outstanding at ISO 400 and below. But at higher ISO, especially 1600, all those MP on a bit smaller sensor will leave Olympus at a disadvantage when it comes to noise.

As for the lens lineup, there are some gaps, but what is there is very good value. As you mentioned, the kit lenses are very good, but the mid range zoom lenses the next step up are outstanding. The 11-22mm, 14-54mm, and 50-200mm lenses cover a 22mm-400mm effective range with f2.8-3.5 maximum appertures. Adding the 1.4 TCon extends your reach to 560mm EFL at f5. And the quality is tough to match.

If you need more than that, for something like wildlife shooting, the only current affordable option is one Sigma lens (135-400mm) (though a couple more may be on the way). If you need faster glass than f2.8, for low light action, the only affordable choice might be a Sigma 30 f1.4. If you are interested in macro, there are only a half dozen macro lenses available, most of those from Sigma.

And there is an adaptor available for your old Minolta lenses (you can get them on ebay for about $30 -- the one in the following link is a bit pricey):

I'm not convinced the lens options for the D40 are as good. Few of Nikon's best prime lenses are AF-S. The only Nikkor Prime with AF-S for under $1000 is the 105mm Macro lens. Again here the only good option for low light seems to be the Sigma 30 f1.4.

Options for zoom lenses are also limited. Unlike the Zuiko lenses, Nikkor Zooms with f2.8 appertures start at over $1000. The mid-priced zooms are all f3.5-4.5. So even if you have a stop advantage in higher ISO performance, you're not really seeing any advantage over the Olympus in low light or action if you're shooting with these zooms. There are also no good third party standard zoom alternatives. There are however two good Sigma options for the telephoto range, the 50-150 f2.8 or the 70-200 f2.8.

In Nikon's favor, they do have VR available in some lenses, and the ultra sonic focusing motors in these leses are nice as well. And, if what you want is a convenient all in one zoom for travel, so you don't have to carry another lens, Nikon is the leader there. The 18-135mm suggested by Sarah seems to be the best of it's kind, and the 18-200 VR is also very popular. And for the most part, as with Zuiko, lenses with the Nikkor brand aren't likely to dissapoint optically. Another similarity is generally very good kit lenses. If you don't really need the fast glass, you will be happy with what Nikon has to offer.

The Canon looks to be the most versatile of this group. It has the best high ISO performance, though I don't think that difference is large. It also has a 9 point autofocus, compared to only 3 on the E-400 or D40. It will do better in action or low light shooting do to a combination of high ISO quality, focus speed, and "fast" lenses available.

But you do have to be more careful with the Canon lens lineup. The best lenses are outstanding, and there are some good values there. But there are also a few more mediocre lenses to avoid. So don't buy just because a lens has the Canon brand. In the bargain range, under $500, sometimes the better options are third party lenses like the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. For higher quality optics, the Canon "L" series is outstanding. In the under $1000 price bracket the 17-40 f4 L and the 70-200 f4 L are two strandouts.

But what lenses you want in the future will depend on what you want to shoot. This will impact your camera choice as well. Wide angle? Landscapes? Portrait? Wildlife? And what kind of prints, only 8x10", or sometimes large prints (like 16x20") for display? For some things, like landscape, the tradeoff of more megapixels at the expense of a bit higher ISO noise may be worthwhile. For lowlight, or sports and action, you might be better off with 6MP and low noise.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:56 AM   #24

I offer my apologies. I was just going back to the original post that spoke of being a student on a limited budget who desires a small or compact DSLR. I certainly don't want to disrupt any discussions.

I guess that I just don't visualize the Pentax K10 as being small, compact, or as inexpensive as the K100D. The K10 is a great camera but, most probably not the most appropiate choice matching the original posters requirements.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:35 AM   #25

Sandytrail wrote:
This is slightly off topic but I've got quite a few old lenses from my Minolta...will they go with any dSLRs on the market? I believe the Sony Alpha will be compatible with them? But I'm not too keen on the Sony Alpha....
If your Minolta film SLR was autofocus (A-mount) then the lenses will fit.

If the lenses are manual-focus (MC, MD, Rokkor, Celtic, etc), then you need an adapter; the most-promising-looking one seems to be Haoda's. It's new enough to be largely unreviewed, however.

- Steve S.

Steve-S is offline   Reply With Quote