Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 26, 2007, 4:04 PM   #1

We have been using our 990 here at the lab to photograph product AND document our process of small part assembly. It seems we are always searching for the camera, settings get changed, batteries are dead. This is our only camera so it's time to buy a second camera.

Short term I thought we would replace the 990 with something new. This new camera would be dedicated to process documentation. Later we would get a dSLR for product photos. Having read comments on the 990, I'm having second thoughts.

Process Documentation (Camera #1): Initial use will be photos of small wires as they are stripped, prepped and crimped with small contacts. The contact might be 1/2" long and 1/8" diameter. As the document process moves forward, parts will get a little bigger. No larger that 18" for the entire assembly of small parts. Most photos will be of parts in the 1"-4" range. Once we decide on a camera, the porcess must be very easy. If I can tweak the camera and a user can easily use it afterwards that is fine. We may fix the camera on a hard mount with auxilary light but that is not my preference. Can I get easy to use with quality images in 1"-2"subject size?

Product Photos (Camera #2): Most of our product is 18" or smaller in size. Lighting always seems to be an issue. We purchased a small colapsable light tent but we're so restricted on room it never stays up. This camera could be a simple compact with good image quality, or a low end dSLR.

The 990 has been a great camera but it is near end of life. Can I get some recommendations on cameras? Have I supplied enough info for our needs?

If it helps you can look at our website for more detail on our products. All photos we're taken with our 990.

Steven Benson
Celadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links