Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 4, 2007, 10:47 AM   #1

I have never owned a digital SLR before and I am seriously thinking of getting into photography (after getting very frustrated with the limitations of point and shoot digital cameras). I am thinking about buying a Canon EOS 300D from ebay. Due to the camera being discontinued they appear to be reasonably priced on ebay right now.

Is there anything I should specifically ask when buying a used dSLR? Is there anything specifically related to the 300D which I should watch out for?

What is the maximum price you would recommended for buying one of these? Currently ending auctions appear to be about £200ish.

Thanks very much for your time
CeeJayCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2007, 2:23 PM   #2

Mainly seller feedback and reputation, and condition of the camera, how well used it is, is everything expected included, and whether they have any return policy. Always keep an eye on shipping and handling costs when bidding. Surprisingly, people tend to be more likely to overpay when the shipping cost is high.

I would tend to stick to larger sellers or lightly used/as new/factory reconditioned items. But you can get better deals from individual sellers if you are careful.

I'm not sure if the Canon's have a way to tell number of shutter actuations. The shutters in entry level models will fail on average after about 50,000, which could be really anywhere from 30,000-70,000 shots, and need repair. But there will be many available that have been lightly used and have less than 5,000 shots.

Also check prices at used online dealers like keh.com if they have any in stock. Dealers like this will tend to have reliable condition grades.

Larger ones to check/watch on ebay are henrys.com and cametaauctions.

Also, you might get a RebelXT/EOS350D for near to that price as well. That's the more recently replaced model.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote