Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 5, 2007, 6:02 PM   #1

I'm looking for a new camera, my budget is around $700. I would like good manual controls as I would love to be able to take weather photos lightning etc. If you have any ideas of which camera would suit, I understand that $700 is probably too small an amount but *hopefully* theres something out there which might suit my needs.

Many Thanks
merriweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2007, 6:42 PM   #2

Probably the cheapest high quality option would be the Pentax K110D. For a bit more, you can get the K100D which is the same except that it includes image stabilization. If you use a tripod, that won't matter though. Both are DSLR cameras and would be very high quality.

Pentax also has a lot of cheap used stuff available since it's compatible with just about every lens ever made for Pentax. I got the K100D with the kit lens and a few manual focus lenses for under $700.

You might also look at the Nikon D40 which I hear is a good deal, but it has a very limited selection of lenses for it.

A lot of the higher end ultrazooms give you a lot of manual controls, but none would give you nearly as much image quality, particularly at night.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 8:36 AM   #3

Nikon's D50 can be had with a decent kit lens for around $700. It has been replaced recently by the D80 which is quite a bit more money, but a lot of online camera stores still have the D50s in stock. I recently purchased the D50 with an 18-55mm kit lens for @$610and I added the 55-200mm zoom lens for another $170.

Unlike the D40 the D50 autufocus motor is in the body so there are more lens options if you require the autofocus feature. Happy shopping.
TwoStep is offline   Reply With Quote