Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 6, 2007, 12:40 PM   #1

I am a novice digital camera user and am looking to replace an old 3.2mp sony. I had narrowed my search down to either the Canon SD 700 IS or the Canon A 630. After visiting a brick and mortar store I have deemed the A630 a bit bulky. However I did notice the A 710 IS and really liked the form factor and the feel of the camera. The main use of the camera will be documenting family life such as birthdays, holidays, soccer games, hikes, trips etc. The camera will be used by both my wife and I. My wife will, in all likelihood, never make any manual adjustments to the camera....she just wants to adjust the zoom and click the button. I am more likely (but not very often) to make some setting adjustments as necessary. Both cameras' sizes are fine for us although there would be a slight, but not major, preference for the ultra compact. My main question is, when used in auto mode will the sd700IS and the A710IS yield consistent results, ie. is one better than the other in a straight point and click scenario given the above usage description? I am also interested in general opinions of the two cameras given the usage scenario above and whether one would be preferable over the other for my family. I have read that flash recharge is quite slow on the 710IS ... not sure how much of a nuisance that might be. In Canada there is a negligible $30 difference between the cameras (710 being more expensive). Thanks in advance for any advice given.

gvsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links