Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 8, 2007, 3:16 PM   #1

I'm in the market for a new cam and have been scouring reviews of the Panasonic Fz7 and now FZ8 and also the Canon A710IS. Currently i have an old P&S that is tiny and have gotten to like being able to put it in my shirt pocket, etc., however its limitations, quality, etc. have me looking to replace it.

Right now i mainly shoot my son (2 1/2yrs) in all sorts of situations, indoor, outdoor, etc., and also the Red Sox during the season, so a zoom would be very helpfull since my seats are in the right field grandstand.

I like the panasonic for its zoom, controls, looks, and feel, its surprisingly light and comfortable. This is why i'm shying away from S3IS, it's too bulky IMO.

I like the Canon for its reputation, and good reviews of its image quality, and it still has a 6x zoom, which may satisfy my want for more zoom than a 3x or 4x camera.

As far as printing goes, i pretty much only print 4x6 or 5x7, but w/ one of these i will probably print an occasional 8x10.

My budget is approx. $300 (camera only).

Right now, i can almost never shoot indoors with what i have, so which of these two might be best for indoor shots might be my choice.

Also, the reason i am looking at the A710IS is because i am a little afraid that i might find the Panasonic too much to bring with me everywhere even though it is fairly small still for an ultrazoom.

Any thoughts?...
marksas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2007, 5:19 PM   #2

You seem to have a pretty good handle on comparisons. I don't think you will see a difference in image quality in an 8 X 10. Both cameras have excellent lenses.

If you think you would carry the Canon more often because of size it might be a better choice for you. The Panasonic would work better from far right field though.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote