Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:52 PM   #1

Hi, newest member here,

Need advice buying proper camera. Just gave my digital pentax optio 550 to my father in law so he can take digital pix. would like advice on what to buy now. Loved the pentax except for3 things shutter lag, time between shots and image shake. Wish to maintain at least 5 megapixels and 5x zoom. Don't want to move up to a SLR or super zoom. Mostly shooting wildlife, birds in particular, dogs, regular vacation type stuff and landscapes. Like to stay under $500. Read Canon G7 review but why is it so costly? Wow! Looked at Sony Cybershot DSC H2 but a little too big to put in my fanny pack. Guidance would be appreciated.

emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2007, 6:48 PM   #2

I personally can't see attempting birds and wildlife with less than 12x IS super zoom unless you're "animal whisperer". One of the lightest and least expensive 12x IS is the Kodak Z612 at $200-$250. Compare its size and weight with your requirements.

It doesn't have the fastest shutter but it's not far off the very fastest. The other limitation is ISO 400 is the highest practical speed so that might limit you in some situations but there is some debate on how useable anything above 400 is in any P & S camera. The optical IS is pretty effective.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote