Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 15, 2007, 10:12 AM   #1

I am looking for a camera that will take CRISP macro shots of flowers/plants outdoors. I'm not fond of softer looking close-ups. Also, I like to take shots of birds, so need a reliable zoom.

Those two requirements are telling me that I may need a DSLR. I have an Olympus C-765 that takes good macro shots (not great), but the zoom shots are not good. My husband has a Canon Rebel DSLR and has offered to get a macro lens to supplement for me, but I have not been happy with the crispness of the Canon pictures. Also, his camera is too big - I have small hands and find his camera uncomfortable to hold.

I've been looking at the Canon Powershot S3Is, but fear that the macro shots will again be too soft.

Any suggestions? Price not a big issue.

ckk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:37 AM   #2

ckk wrote:
but I have not been happy with the crispness of the Canon pictures.
Just a note on this - MOST dslrs have less in-camera processing than digicams. This is done by design, with the idea that the photographer can better apply appropriate sharpening in post processing. DSLRs do however allow you to change the in-camera processing so you can increase in-camera sharpening if you prefer the affect digicams provide. Not trying to steer you towards a DSLR per se - just didn't know if you were aware of this point. Most DSLRs behave this way.

Of course it also depends on the lens being used (can't expect a $150 sigma 70-300 to perform as well at 300mm as a $4000 canon 300mm 2.8) and the ability of the photographer - since DSLRs have a shallower depth of field than digicams, mis-focusing errors look much worse on a DSLR than they do on a digicam.

Unfortunately if the D-Rebel is too big for you, I don't think you'd like any of the DSLRs on the market - the various d-rebels (300d 350d, 400d) are all on the small side - not to mention the size when paired with a lens appropriate for birding (usually 300mm or longer). So, even with the above comments in mind, another digicam may be the best choice for you.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote