Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 18, 2007, 12:29 PM   #1

i currently own a canon s3is, of which i am very pleased with, however, i find that when i go out with this camera, although i realize this is not a huge setup, i take my tele convertor and adapter out with me, there is to muchto carry on a cycle ride,i want a smaller camera to take out with me,on cycle rides or to be able to take out and keep in a small bag / pocket, if i go to gardens, or on a long ride

what i would like from anyone who reads this post, is some advice, i would like something with, at least 4x zoom, ( zoom fanatic i am afraid ) but my main priority is the macro for flowers and insects / butterflies

i have xd and sd cards and would prefer something compatible with those cards, so i can spend more on the camera, i have upto £300, that i could spend, on the right camera, i have considered a panasonic that is 10x zoom, however i really need a good macro system to justfy buying another camera and not to sure on their macro capabilities

thanks for any advice offered, alan
jad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2007, 1:17 PM   #2

How do you define good macro performance? Minimum focus distance, ability of the flash to compensate for close distances or as good as the S3IS?

Most manufacturers offer at least one model and many have multiple models meeting your general requirements. Kodak has the C875, V705 and V610 while Olympus has the Stylus 740, 750 and 780, allwhich have 5x or greater zoom, a macro mode and compact (pocket size) body.

Optimally you might try to handle those plus the equivalents from other mfrs.to identify compatible ergonomics, menu logic and general handling. Having narrowed the list then read the reviews looking for comment on the macro capabilities.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 2:04 PM   #3

I have a powershot A620 for my girlfriend and a G7 for myself, they both do good macro (1cm) and are highly portable. The 620 is 4X4 zoom and the G7 is 6X4. The G7 doesn't have a folding LCD which I really prefer for a pocket cam. Here is a pic she took with the 620 in macro:

Attached Images
socom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 2:48 PM   #4

I recently had a very similar decision to make. I own a Sony H5 which is great but it's just too large to be a go everywhere camera.

After reading alot of reviews I bought the Canon A710 IS. It has 6x zoom with IS and it takes beautiful pictures.

Check out Steve's review on this camera, I think you'll be impressed.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote