Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 25, 2007, 12:53 PM   #1

I'm a 1st time DSLR buyer & admittedly clueless. I've never used a SLR before but it's something that I'm very interested in learning. I went to a camera store yesterday & the Nikon D80 was recommended. I've read great things about the camera but wonder if it's too much for a newbie to handle? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Zigggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2007, 3:17 PM   #2

What camera are you using now, and what do you want to do that it cannot do? Or can do only with a bunch of fiddling?

The major drawback of a dSLR is the size/weight - try walking about with a brick on a neck strap for several hours to get a feel for that. Another drawback is that there is always something else you can buy: another lens, a better flash, a longer lens, a shorter lens, a faster lens, ...

Not trying to talk you out of a dSLR - any of them is a big improvement over other digicams.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 3:39 PM   #3

The Nikon D80 is a fine camera. It has an Auto program mode that you can use just to get started, and all the bells and whistles that you could ever grow into. The D40 and D40x are cheaper, but if you're serious, you could outgrow them.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 4:00 PM   #4

Any camera is too much for a person unless they are willing to study how to use it properly. You have the owner's manual, books, extension courses to help you so it shouldn't take long before you begin to appreciate what you have.

Bill Drew has a point however, it does become an addiction!:lol:
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote