Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 31, 2007, 8:43 AM   #1

I need to replace my old 5 MP Sony P10, which takes excellent pictures. Of the W55 and W90, which one takes better pictures? If I were to take all pictures in 5 MP resolution, which of these cameras would be better? The W90 looks really nice but there are hardly any reviews for it yet. Anyone have any experience with it?
Boothie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2007, 10:22 AM   #2

Ire-read your post twice. The Sony W-55 is a 7.2mp camera, and the W-90 is a 8.1mp camera. Then you post the question of how will my photos look at 5mp? Why don't you want to use either of these cameras at the designed mp rating? That is how you are going your best photos.

The W-55 has no adjustible White Balance. It has a fixed Automatic White Balance, so if you are going to be shooting photos in a mixed lighting situation, you are likely to see some color casts in your photos. Color casts can be corrected with good software and post processing. Sony tends to use fairly heavy noise reduction, so shots taken at ISO 400 and above migh show some smudging of fine details.

The W-90 does offer adjustable White Balance, and ISO capabilities up to 3200, but keep in mind that Sony's noise reduction does smudge fine detail at high ISO settings. So a lot will depend on the kind of photos that you take and how much added adjustability in the camera you desire.

I also searched for W-90 reviews, but was unable to find one.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote