Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 31, 2007, 12:53 PM   #1

Dear all!

i am looking for high zoom digital compact camera with zoom around 10x .. I liked Canon S3is but its costing me around 600 AUD .. which is going a bit over my budget..

Cany any one suggest me some other high zoom cameras in a range of 500 AUD . I would prefer a good company Cameras though.

Best Regards,

asad747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2007, 1:34 PM   #2

You could perhaps consider the Fuji S6500FD? It should be priced cheaper than the Canon S3, and its gaining quite a following these days.

The Fuji has a 10x zoom, which uses manual zoom rings, so its easier to control. It has a wide angle lense starting from 28mm, as opposed to Canon starting at 36mm.
It has an ISO that can go up to 3200 (with less image noise than the Canon).
You can record video until the card is full, unlike the Canon where the video is limited to 10mins or 1GB (whichever is smaller).

On the negative side, the Fuji does not have IS, but since its ISO can go quite high with less image noise, you may not need it so much. The Fuji is also quite big, weighing twice as much as the Canon S3.

One other thing I've noticed with the Fuji is that in the AUTO mode, the photo taken appears to use unnecessarily high ISO's, even in well lit conditions. So in order to get an optimum picture, you will most likely use semi-automatic modes or manual modes in the Fuji camera, rather than fully automatic. If your buying this cam, do not expect to get the best pictures in full AUTO.
Shahmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 4:43 PM   #3

Presumably you're in Australia so I hope everyone who isfamilure with that matket will jump in. A bargain ($200-$250 US) in the US market right now is the Kodak Z612 with 12x zoom (35mm-420mm) and IS. It's smaller and lighter than the Fujiand will take video until the card fills up as the Fuji does. Doesn't have the high ISO performance the Fuji does but it does have IS.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote