Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 4, 2007, 10:15 AM   #1

i've been trying to work out which camera to buy for a while now, but am finding it hard to make a decision.

i am tempted by the Canon 400D, but have heard off many people that the kit lens is poor. this means if i buy the camera then i'll get the body with a different lens. one problem is that i have no idea what lens to get for around £130 ($250).

the other option is to get the Nikon D80 body and then use lenses that my dad has for his Fuji camera, but not have my own lenses (or choice of lenses).

so, i guess the real question is what general purpose lens can i get for the canon for around £130 that makes buying that a better option than the Nikon?

thanks in advance.
ch9sab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2007, 12:57 PM   #2

I would want to be very sure that the lens from your Dad's Fuji camera really will work with the Nikon D-80 and give you both AF and AE features.

The Canon Kit lens is really not bad at all. I have attached a sample photo taken with my Canon XT using the kit lens.

The Canon XTi tends to show a lot more noise than its predecessor, the XT in low light level shooting conditions, and with high ISO settings. It is just a personal opinion, but ifI were in were look for a consumer level Canon DSLR camera, I would be looking at the XT not the XTi because I do a lot of low light level shooting at high ISO settings.

Attached Images
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote