Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 6, 2007, 5:08 AM   #1

Ive finally decided between digital SLR and point and shoot and am going to go for a point and shoot mainly because with an SLR there are so many parts to carry about and you cant just stick it in your pocket on holiday etc plus you can get normal digital cameras with the same amount (or better) pixels but you lose out on the zoom....Anyway the main thing is ive been looking at cameras around 7-10 megapixels with preferablly over 3x optical zoom...these two cameras came up and was wondering if any one had a preference over which camera to go for.

Olympus FE230

Olympus MJU700
nstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2007, 4:42 AM   #2

I have no idea about the MJU700, but I've been looking at some concert pics this morning taken with an FE230 and the noise levels were horrendous. Have you considered the Fujis (F20, F30, F31d and the New F40d)?
mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 9:15 AM   #3

The strengths of both of those are a low price, good build, and a very thin, convenient compact camera. There is some tradeoff in image quality, especially indoors. But outdoor images are generally good and indoor pictures with flash will be OK within about 10 feet. They are also slow compared to competing models.

Be sure to check Steve's review:

The mju700 also has some weather resistance, so you can use it in the rain, it's not quite as fragile as most digital cameras. But it's also a year older than the FE-230.

For better image quality, especially indoors, I would look at something like the Fuji F20, which is larger and heavier, but not too bad to carry in a pocket. The Fuji Z5fd will be thinner, but doesn't yet seem to be available.

If an ultrathin model is desireable, the Casio EX-S600, EX-Z70 or EX-Z700 might also be worth a look. They will be about the same in image quality (also not good in low light) but offer quicker performance.

And the Sony DSC-W55 is a nice all around model, a bit larger than the thinnest ones, but a bit smaller than the Fuji F series. It's basically a 7MP update to the W50.

See Steve's best camera's list for other possibilities:

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote