Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 8, 2007, 8:45 AM   #1

Hello all,
Looking for an underwater camera, nothing too expensize <300. Looked at the BEST cameras section of this site but my only problem is that all the cameras use rechargable batteries, which i have a very bad experience with. so my questions is what is a decent underwater camera for <300 $ that is point and shoot, with some manual controls. Also shock proof would help too .

Thanks guys

UnderwaterF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2007, 9:23 AM   #2

Are you looking for a camera to take diving, or just want to have it safe from spray? There's a big difference between the few "waterproof" P&S digicams out now (capable of remaining watertight to around 10'), and a good digicam with a good waterproof housing (capable of remaining watertight to as far down as you would care to go). I believe a decent waterproof housing for a P&S would run you around $150 - $300, so that wouldn't leave very much to spend on the camera.

The Olympus 770SW is waterproof to 30m, and shockproof (around $350). I don't know how good a camera it is, though.

The Fuji F31FD is not waterproof or shockproof (around $300), but is an excellent camera for low light photography (like you would expect underwater). The Fuji underwater case (good to 40m) would run you another $180 (direct from Fuji).

As far as rechargeable batteries go, they are virtually a must with digicams, because of their power consumption. They eat regular alkaline batteries for breakfast. To give you an idea, the F31 would give you about 580 pictures on a single charge of its LiIon battery. If you could use alkaines (you can't - not an option) you would probably only get around 200...then you would have to buy some more...kinda tough to change batteries underwater.

Good luck with your search.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 10:23 AM   #3

Thanks for the help, i see your point, guess the underwater shooting can wait, since thats alot of extra money probably better to be put towards a better camera, but these were the type of photos i was going for, <3feet depth

Ill rephrase my question in another thread.
UnderwaterF is offline   Reply With Quote