Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 10, 2007, 7:19 PM   #1

Hello everyone,

I am new here and I am looking for anew camers and hoping you can help me out.

I like taking pictures of my kids and their soccer games and running around in the back yard just playing.

What is a good camera for this? I currently own an Olympus Stylus 300 and it is getting pretty worn out as I take about 400 pictures a month.

Thank you very much

kammakcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2007, 7:20 PM   #2

What type of budget do you have?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 7:27 PM   #3

Well since you didn't give us a price range the Canon 1DMIII is the fastest. 10fps, but it is $4000 for the body alone. :lol:

A little more info would help, like price range, type of camera you want etc.
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 7:31 PM   #4

Sorry .

i was thinking about 300~400 dollar range

Doesn't really matter is if is the sleekest or not, doesnt have to be all weather but sometimes its crummy weather at the girls soccer games

kammakcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 10:59 PM   #5

How important is it to be compact?

Your current model is a compact camera with only 3x zoom (35mm-105mm equivalent). For shooting soccer, I'm sure you could use much more zoom. A superzoom model which extends to 300mm equivalent or more might be a good choice, but would also be bigger and heavier.

There also aren't too many models like the Stylus line that are weather resistent. Most digicams should be kept out of the rain. Or at least need to be covered if shooting in poor weather.

The Kodak Z612 would be one good choice for a superzoom:

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:33 AM   #6

If you want something small you might look at the Casio V7. It has a 3fps burst and a tracking focus that would be great for active kids. The 7X zoom is probably sufficient. The Panasonic TZ3 is a little larger with a 10X lens and also has a good burst mode but doesn't have either a tracking focus or continuous focus that focuses after a half press.

If you can accept larger there are many superzooms. Unless they added a burst to their latest model, avoid the Sony H series as they are good for only a shot a second. The Panasonic FZ8 or Canon S3 might be good options for you. The Canon has a true continuous focus so you can hold a half pressed shutter and have instant response when you see the shot you want. With Panasonics you have to re-focus if something moves.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote